Whether you like it or not, giving birth exposes you to a myriad of tips and a mountain of advice courtesy of your fellow parents. From breastfeeding to sleep habits and everything in between, it seems everyone is an expert when it comes to surviving those postpartum days.
I found myself on the receiving end of many mommy pro-tips when I was pregnant and have to admit that some came in pretty handy (others not so much…others not at all). In my experience, the best advice was rooted in pragmatism rather than platitude, meaning anything in the vain of “Sleep when the baby sleeps” was pretty much useless.
It’s in that spirit of practicality and sensible support, that I give you my 5 easy tips for streamlining life with a newborn:
- Family room essentials: Keep a duplicate stash of necessities (i.e. diapers, wipes, etc.) in the family room to keep from running to the nursery every time the baby needs a change.
- Save Space: To prevent the bottomless pile of outgrown newborn attire from overtaking your house, invest in some vacuum bags that shrink when the air is sucked out, a real space saver!
- Dim those lights: Installing a dimmer switch in the nursery will avoid the need to turn on jarring overhead lights or bright table lamps for those overnight feedings.
- Pump-it: Baby shampoo, hand-sanitizer and anything of the sort should be in a pump bottle providing for convenient one-handed dispensing when you’re holding onto a squirmy infant.
- Hassle-free hydration: In case you haven’t discovered it already, breastfeeding can be extremely dehydrating. To avoid feeling parched in the middle of the night, keep a water bottle in the baby’s room and refill it after every use so it’s ready to go.
Having a newborn can be an uphill challenge at times, testing a parent’s patience and endurance beyond their wildest imagination. It is comforting in those early days to be able to draw on the wisdom and experience of the parenting community to smooth the way for all the amazing moments ahead; trust me, there are too many to count.