There are times when the wind is howling and the snow is whipping across your face, that it is easy to curse living in a winter climate. Being a new parent, I have often found myself wondering just how much easier it would be if I didn’t have to wrestle my daughter into a snowsuit before leaving the house or strap her into the car-seat with a handful of frozen fingers.
Then there are days like today, when the sun is shining and there’s only a slight nip in the air, that I can reflect on all that I love about living in a city that experiences four distinct seasons, including – yes – winter.
Here are just a few:
- Snowy Sports: Whether it’s hitting the slopes or taking in an outdoor game of shinny, there’s something so nostalgic and wonderful about frolicking outside in the winter chill – especially with kids. Can you think of anything more fun than climbing aboard a toboggan and sailing down a hill of packed snow? Nope!
- Hot Bevvys: When you’re done enjoying the outdoors, fix yourself a cup of warm cocoa and warm-up from the inside out. A steaming hot beverage just isn’t the same when your fingers and toes aren’t mid-thaw.
- Winter Fashion: During the dog-days of summer, my mind inevitably wanders to thoughts of scarves, boots and the deep hues that characterize winter fashion. Sandals, swimsuits and maxi-dresses just can’t compare.
- Comforts of Home: Nothing makes me appreciate a Saturday night spent indoors more than a Canadian winter. Give me a pair of warm socks and a movie and I am one happy Canuck.
- The Spring Thaw: Is there any more optimistic feeling than the one you have during those early days of spring? It’s magical to watch as sidewalks fill-in and a hibernating city comes back to life, ahhhh!
Winter doesn’t have to be a source of dread all year-round; it can actually be quite beautiful in its own right. I hope you take time to enjoy it because in the time it takes to spell F-R-O-Z-E-N, spring will be here!