Nutrition Month Featured Recipe: Slow Cooker Asian Beef
- Slow Cooker
- 2 lbs flank steak, trim excess fat and slice into one-inch pieces (against the grain), you can also buy packages of beef cut in “stir fry” strips
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp grated ginger *
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar or rice vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 2 cups brown rice or quinoa, cooked **
- Shredded carrots, red cabbage, julienne cucumbers and chopped green onions for serving
- Add flour and beef to a large resealable plastic bag (e.g. Ziploc) and shake to combine until flour equally coats beef.
- Put beef in slow cooker
- In a medium bowl, whisk together soy sauce, ginger, honey/maple syrup, vinegar, garlic and oil.
- Pour over beef.
- Cover and cook on high for 3.5 hours.
- Once done turn slow cooker off and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately with rice (or quinoa) and top with carrots, cabbage, cucumbers and green onions.
- Top with additional sauce and sesame seeds if desired.